5.3 problems

steveb99 steveb99 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 7 11:09:38 PST 2004

I downloaded 5.3 and installed it a couple times last night and had
some problems. I was wondering if anyone else is having similar
problems.

First it is a while box computer, Intel PIII 800, 256MB PC133 RAM,
Intel 815 motherboard, 2 x 40GB IDE drives,  FBSD 5.2 on one drive and
installing 5.3 on the second drive.

Issues:
The installed didn't add 5.3 to the BSD boot manager it set it up to
only recognize 5.3.

Not a real big deal but I setup the network during install, but after
install completes network is not configured.

Last is X isn't configured and now sure where to with the X.Org.
During install I do choose the X Kern Dev packages. During port
selection I made sure X package are selected and also WindowMaker the
WM I use.  X does get install but only the basic fvwm is working and
if you try to exit it won't.  To leave fvwm I have to hit
shift-alt-bksp combo to get X to exit.  Then I ran /stand/sysinstall
to configure X like I would in 5.2, but I don't see the X configure
anywhere.

Thought I might of done something wrong and reinstalled a couple time
and it was like what I described above each time. I've been look for
some doc on 5.3 to see where I going wrong, but not finding much, any
suggestions?

Steve B.