FreeBSD 5.2.1 - Bridging problems

Kevin Roettger flymac at mac.com
Sun Nov 7 03:05:48 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a bridge on my FreeBSD box as follows:
3 NIC's:
- A realtek plugged into a ADSL modem (rl0), this one is not part of
the
bridge
- Two 3Com 3c905C: xl0 works for months without problems and is
connected to
the LAN. The second card (xl1) has just been added. I'd like to connect
another part of the LAN on it, so I thought bridging would be good.
The machine hosting the bridge is my internet router, so every machine
on the
LAN has this machine as router. xl0 has an IP, xl1 has not (the
handbook says
better not to give an IP to the second NIC)
I've set up the bridge as mentioned in the handbook:
net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
net.link.ether.bridge.config=xl0,xl1
net.link.ether.bridge.ipfw=1
...all this in sysctl.conf. The module bridge.ko is loaded too, so
everything
should work fine.
Here an excerpt of ifconfig:

xl0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
        inet6 fe80::210:5aff:fea6:4f65%xl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        ether 00:10:5a:a6:4f:65
        status: active
xl1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
        inet6 fe80::20a:5eff:fe45:b152%xl1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        ether 00:0a:5e:45:b1:52
        status: active

So here's the problem: any client connected to xl0 can reach the
clients on
xl1 and vice-versa (this is good, yes), but NO way to see nor ping the
router
itself when trying from xl1!!! I believe this is very strange since the
packets from xl1-side to xl0-side go thru the router.
xl0-side clients CAN ping and access the router, xl1-side clients
cannot.
An 'arp -an' run on the router shows all xl0 clients, but nothing of
xl1-sided clients. xl1-side clients have the same network config as the
xl0
ones, obviously.

Any clues really welcome! Thanks in advance.

Kevin