Naming confusion

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 22:49:17 PST 2004

 >don't worry about it.

With XFree86, it is an issue.
It appears that Xorg won't configure correctly without it. Although I
won't swear that's the problem with Xorg.

 >Unless you're trying to have someone outside reach your machine (as
opposed to vice versa), you might as well just use whatever name the ISP
you're currently connected to tries to give you.

Uhhhh, The computer with FBSD on it has not been connected to the
Internet since last winter, when it had Win 98SE on it. I'm a truck
driver who carries two computers in the truck with me, and seem to be
collecting more older computers at home in Wyoming. In the truck, I
always have one computer turned on. I get my loads over the Internet,
get most of my news over the Internet, keep truck records, do my legal
logbook, and keep in touch with my daughters who live in Europe, and
learn about FreeBSD all with a laptop computer. The fact of the matter
is that I can not even work without a working computer.

I've been using my backup computer as a test bed for the various
operating systems.  M$ has never been real reliable. But my virus
software seems to be blocking viruses almost daily which are aimed at
one Microsoft product or another. It has become apparent to me that any
computer that I have which is connected to the Internet needs to be
using non-M$ products. I had hoped to make a painless transfer to one of
the Linux or BSD products, much as I did about 11 years ago when I
jumped from CBM and Apple computers to PCs. (13 years of using CBM
computers and only a couple of years of using Apples.)

So far, it has been anything but painless. The priorities of a UNIX
system is far different then what I've experienced. And I have yet to
get a UNIX type system developed enough to access the Internet. One
challenge or another keeps cropping up.

So, it seems that I'm hitting text books again, and asking questions
during my spare time....

The question that I keep asking myself is if I can get to a point with
FreeBSD, or any UNIX type system, where I am comfortable with it and I
can make it adapt to my changing environment. At this point, I feel that
if I can learn enough about it, FreeBSD is my best answer. My reasoning
is that while newer programs are always put into usage on any OS, you
can usually still manually configure everything with FreeBSD.

Since many of the processes running on FreeBSD require a 'named'
computer, I need to know how to handle this. Otherwise, as it says in
"The Complete FreeBSD" book, there will be processes which will not run,
or else they will not run correctly on my computer. The answer to this
problem does not seemed to be addressed while using 'dhclient' in any of
the printed information that I could find.

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590