First questions: rebuilding world

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Nov 6 21:59:24 PST 2004

> Once in single user mode, ssh is out of the question.  In single user
> mode, only
> *person* can login, and that is at the actual terminal.
> Depending on the situation, for example.  My firewall is at the other
> side of the
> house, without a keyboard/monitor.
> Since the box doesn't have any other logged in users, I
> normally build world in multi user mode. Doing so is taking a
> chance with the success of the build world, but like I said,
> it depends on the situation...

Thanks!  So you can do everything in multiuser mode, or do you still
have to drop to single user mode to actually install the new kernel and
new system binaries?

Also, does doing all of this bring me to the most recent stable release?
(I noticed that 5.3 was released yesterday, presumably just after I
downloaded 5.2.1).

Thanks again,

---- Joe Fry ----
(joe at thefrys.com)