First questions: rebuilding world

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Sat Nov 6 21:19:25 PST 2004

Joseph H. Fry wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>Seeing as how this is my first post to this fine mailing list, I first
>want to make sure that my message is formatted properly.  I'm using MS
>Outlook (cringe) and don't want to offend anyone if it's formatted
>incorrectly.

Looks fine to me in Thunderbird...

>Anyway, on to my real question.  I have my system installed, and have
>CVSup-ed my source... So I think I'm ready to rebuild the world.
>However, considering that my BSD box is in a remote out of the way
>location in my basement, I am using ssh to do as much as possible on the
>box.  Can I rebuild my system via ssh, or do I NEED to work directly on
>the machine?  Can I drop into single user mode and still access the
>system via ssh (I know, sounds like I answered my own question, but hey
>we newbies never know)

Once in single user mode, ssh is out of the question.  In single user
mode, only
*person* can login, and that is at the actual terminal.
Depending on the situation, for example.  My firewall is at the other
side of the
house, without a keyboard/monitor.
Since the box doesn't have any other logged in users, I normally
build world in multi user mode.
Doing so is taking a chance with the success of the build world,
but like I said, it depends on the situation...