DSL support

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Nov 6 16:39:21 PST 2004

On Saturday 06 November 2004 15:34, Mark wrote:
> I am on sbc dsl and found this page covered the setup.
>
> http://renaud.waldura.com/doc/freebsd/pppoe/
>
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:54:30AM -0800, William Scott wrote:
> > Dear Sir or Madam,
> >
> > Is there any support/documentation for configuring FreeBSD for
> > use with a DSL modem (my ISP is SBC)?

I recently had some trouble in setting up an ADSL modem (it didn't work
with 5.2.1). What I did in the end was buy a 4-port ADSL NAT router,
and I think it's actually for the best. They are quite cheap these
days, and they have some strong advantages over a basic modem.

- they're configured with a web-browser, so they don't care what OS you
use, and you just setup your computer as if you're on a lan.

-you get spare ethernet ports, for connection sharing and local
networking.

-they usually have a built-in firewall which is a useful extra level of
security, and very desirable if you ever use Windows.