issues booting 5.3

nick holley nick.holley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 15:58:48 PST 2004

I downloaded the 5.3 bootonly disc this morning and was unable to
boot. I had the same problem that I experienced with the 5.3-RC2 and
also when I did a buildworld from 5.2.1. The kernel appears to be
booting fine until it gets to a certain point where it will stop. The
boot process stops right after listing my hdds or, if my orinoco card
is in, after failing to initialize my wireless nic (which happens
right after the hdd listing).

The system is not locked as I still receive a message about not being
ready to suspend from the acpi module when I push the power button on
my tower. Also, it doesn't matter which boot option I use; the boot
stops at the same place every time.

Can anybody give me any pointers on how to go about diagnosing the problem here?

Thanks,
Nick