Naming confusion

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Nov 6 09:31:47 PST 2004

Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com> writes:

> Naming the computer host?
>
> I'm confused by this. As I understand it, I get a different DNS
> assignment every time that I hook into the Internet from a different
> location. Yet FBSD seems to want a permanent assignment which I would
> normally get from my ISP. I don't have a permanent ISP. I mainly use 2
> services at locations all across the USA. Normally I simply assign a
> name to the computer, but it appears that FBSD wants a complete
> Internet address.

Unless you're trying to have someone outside reach your machine (as
opposed to vice versa), you might as well just use whatever name the
ISP you're currently connected to tries to give you.

> This appears to me to be a conflict. I think that I read in "The
> Complete FreeBSD, 4th Edition" where there are some addresses to use
> if the computer will never be hooked into the Internet. But that is
> not the case here.

That's IP addresses, not DNS names.  It is an unrelated issue; don't
worry about it.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/