moused and 7-button mice

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sat Nov 6 09:27:43 PST 2004

I have a Microsoft Trackball Optical that I'd been using with a Debian system
but that I want to switch to my FreeBSD workstation.  The problem I'm having
is that it has 7 buttons:

  Left
  Middle (clicking the scroll wheel)
  Right
  Up scroll
  Down scroll
  Far-left button (narrow, to the left of the regular left button)
  Far-right button

and moused only seems to pass the first 5 through to X.  That is, it works
perfectly well like a regular scroll mouse but those wonderful extra buttons
are ignored.  I don't even know where to begin looking for a solution.  Any
pointers?

For those interested, this page includes a picture of the trackball that may
make more sense than my description:

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=012

--
Kirk Strauser