Postgresql not starting...

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Fri Nov 5 16:43:07 PST 2004

* v.demartino2 at virgilio.it <v.demartino2 at virgilio.it> [1153 22:53]:

> In /usr/local/etc/rc.d I find 010.pgsql.sh to start the service but
> "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start"
> doesn't look to do anything.
>
> if I "su - pgsql" then try to "createdb" an error of missing server pops
> up.
> Could you please help in a straightforward way how to set postgresql straight?

less ~pgsql/post-install-notes

you want

 su -l pgsql -c initdb

initdb creates the postgres system catalogs etc, you can't use createdb without
them (since createdb makes databases by copying the template1  database).

> By the way how can I tell FreeBSD I want the postgresql to be started at
> boot time?

'/usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start'  should work after you've run that.

Once the postmaster starts, then createdb will work.

--
Aww, you know what always cheers me up? Laughing at other people's misfortunes. - Bender