FreeBSD newbye simple question

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Fri Nov 5 15:41:55 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:29:07PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> Experienced linux debian user, recently I smoothly moved to linux gentoo
> (BSD compliant) AND to FreeBSD 5.2.1.
>
> 1) I want to tailor my freeBSD slice according to my machine (gentoo
> experience is helpful!). Now, while i I know how to compile an
> application in /usr/ports I cannot find sources of the "base system" I
> had to install when starting the first installation from scratch.
>
> Where are those sources?

The sources for the base system are available on the same media from
which you installed.  If you don't have anything under /usr/src/ the you
didn't install the sources.  With a running system you can run the
program called 'sysinstall', the same one use to install the intial
system and install the sources.  You can do this:

sysinstall -> Configure -> Distributions -> src

> 2) The questions' question: where can I read what are the options I can
> use with a certain source package and how can I use them when
> make(-ing) the program?

Sometimes you can read the Makefile in the port directory for a
particular port.

> 3) It goes without saying that many freebsd commands are the same as in
> linux but I cannot find the freebsd command equivalent to the linux
> command 'free' giving info about the size of memory used by the
> system's cache, buffers, swap, etc.

As far as I know the best way to get this information is from the
top(1).  You can also get info from systat(1), check out the manpage.

Nathan
--
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8527E49