Intel motherboard and SATA/RAID ...

steveb99 steveb99 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 5 13:51:48 PST 2004

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> "Dual-channel SATA 100 (two connectors) integrated with RAID 0 and 1
> support"
>
> If I have 4 drives in the above, could I stripe two to each other and
> then mirror those together?  Or is it strip *or* mirror?
>
> also, not sure if this is a no brainer, but would FreeBSD support that
> resultant array?

The two variations your are talking about are referred to as RAID 0 + 1,
or RAID 10 depending on the order you stripe and mirror.  I assume this
is hardware RAID so FreeBSD shouldn't even know its there.  You will
create a logical drive from the RAID set you create and that is what
FBSD will see.  That is one of the reasons I like hardware RAID vs
software RAID is the OS doesn't even know about it, it is just a drive
to the OS.

Steve Barnette