Configure WEP on startup

Christopher Rued c.rued at xsb.com
Thu Nov 4 14:29:42 PST 2004

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered
before, but I haven't really found a completely satisfactory answer
anywhere that I looked.

My question is: what is the correct way to configure my wireless network
card to use WEP and to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server at at
startup?  What's the magic line to insert into rc.conf?

uname -a:
FreeBSD laptop.xsb-internal.com 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Wed
Nov  3 06:45:45 EST 2004
root at laptop.crued.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The closest thing I have found is
https://cusg.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bira/freebsdwireless.html but this is
for an older version of FreeBSD and it requires some weired hackery,
such as inserting sleeps to (hopefully) allow the rest of the system to
get to a point where wicontrol commands will work.  Also, it seems to be
for an older version of FreeBSD and uses deprecated wicontrol commands.

(It would be nice if sysinstall would handle this).

Please include me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.

TIA

--Chris