Grub and FreeBSD

Briggaman, Jason jbriggaman at lightship.com
Thu Nov 4 09:23:11 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to get Grub running on 5.3-rc2 but I keep getting Error 29: Disk write error. I'm trying to install it directly to the MBR. I can't use the floppy method because there is one. I can use the FreeBSD loader but I'd like to use grub. This is the only OS on the laptop.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

My fstab looks like this...

bash-2.05b$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/ad0s1a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/ad0s1e		/tmp		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s1f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s1d		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/cd0		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0

This is the contents of /boot/grub...

bash-2.05b$ ls /boot/grub/
device.map        fat_stage1_5      iso9660_stage1_5  menu.lst          reiserfs_stage1_5 stage2            vstafs_stage1_5
e2fs_stage1_5     ffs_stage1_5      jfs_stage1_5      minix_stage1_5    stage1            ufs2_stage1_5     xfs_stage1_5
bash-2.05b$

This is what I entered in the Grub CLI..

bash-2.05b$ grub
grub

    GNU GRUB  version 0.95  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> root (hd0,0,
 Possible partitions are:
   Partition num: 0, [BSD sub-partitions immediately follow]
     BSD Partition num: 'a',  Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5
     BSD Partition num: 'b',  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xa5
     BSD Partition num: 'd',  Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5
     BSD Partition num: 'e',  Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5
     BSD Partition num: 'f',  Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5

grub> root (hd0,0,a)
 Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5 (hd0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
 Running "embed /boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5 (hd0,0,a)"... failed (this is not fatal)
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst "... failed

Error 29: Disk write error

grub> quit

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.

Lightship Telecom / www.lightship.com