ad0: WRITE command timeout...

Are Bryne are.bryne at communique.no
Thu Nov 4 07:55:39 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Nelis Lamprecht wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:10:42 +0100 (CET), Are Bryne
> <are.bryne at communique.no> wrote:
[...]
>> After upgrading a computer from FreeBSD 4.8-something to 4.10-RELEASE-p3,
>> I'm getting lots of the following:
>>
>> ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
>> ata0: resetting devices .. done

The disk in question is a
FUJITSU MPC3043AT/6018 using ATA/ATAPI rev 3 according to atacontrol.
It is master on its controller and uses UDMA33 transfers, and has an idle
PIO4 cd-rom player as a slave.

The controller is identified in dmesg as:
atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on
pci0

[...]
> Hi,
>
> Seen this once before and in my case it was a faulty hard drive cable.
> Check to see whether your cable is not loose or incorrectly inserted
> and perhaps try a new one.

Thank you - I will check that.

> It may also be caused by an incorrect DMA setting if memory serves me
> correct.

I might try turning DMA off to see if that helps...

> Nelis

Again, please CC me to make sure I see the whole thread.

Regards,
Are Bryne
--
Communiqué DA                            Office:       +47 22 44 33 99
Postboks 9050 Grønland                   Mobile:        +47 900 22 009