traceroute: sendto: Permission denied (4.10-RELEASE)

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at theworld.com
Thu Nov 4 06:10:39 PST 2004

Hello -questions:

Lately (since a few days ago) I've been getting an oddity from
traceroute, for example:
--------------------
traceroute to www.freebsd.org (216.136.204.117), 64 hops max, 44 byte packets
traceroute: sendto: Permission denied
 1 traceroute: wrote www.freebsd.org 44 chars, ret=-1
 *traceroute: sendto: Permission denied
traceroute: wrote www.freebsd.org 44 chars, ret=-1
 * 10.108.0.1 (10.108.0.1)  7.212 ms

[other hops that look just fine]

13  www.freebsd.org (216.136.204.117)  94.209 ms  87.449 ms  89.103 ms
--------------------

OS is 4.10-RELEASE, built from source acquired via cvsup.
I get that "Permission denied" at the beginning regardless of
where I might try tracing "outside" (external interface - dc0)
e.g. it works just fine to my local net (local interface - dc1).
Up until a few days ago, traceroute "worked fine" and never (as
far as I recall) reported such a message.

Btw, that 10.108.0.1 hop has been there for ages, and while I
think it's "unusual" it has been there for ages & hasn't
previously affected traces.

The difference between previous & now is that "traceroute:
sendto: Permission denied" message

What does that mean?  What is traceroute trying to do?
I tried the "tracert" from a local (NATed) Win2k machine & that
seems to work as it always has.  {shrug}

Any idea(s) what's (not) happening?
Is my upstream connection blocking something (again)?
Is there some kind of workaround/fix (perhaps my firewall config)?

Thanks,

-kc