blackbox, bbkeys, and .xinit... (solved) --> UNIX behind the scenes

Parv parv at pair.com
Wed Nov 3 18:23:10 PST 2004

in message <200411031739.23987.m.hauber at mchsi.com>, wrote Mike
Hauber thusly...

> I discovered that with the line "blackbox & bbkeys" in the script,
> the bbscript remains when I exit blackbox, and I have to close
> bbscript to return to KDM.
> However, when I login and close bbkeys, then blackbox abruptly
> closes (apparently a clean kill), and I return to KDM.

That's what you had asked for.  Using '&' after a command, a shell
executes the command in the background.  Lack of '&' causes the
command to be executed in the foreground.  Try these two commands in a
bourne-like shell (such as ash (FreeBSD sh), ksh93, bash2, bash3) ...

 sleep 15 && date &

 sleep 15 && date

In your situation, blackbox runs in the background & bbkeys in
foreground.  If you wanted to run bbkeys only if blackbox runs, then
do AND operation ...

  blackbox && bbkeys

... optionally send the both commands in the background (say, if there
are more commands to be run after the two commands)...

  blackbox && bbkeys &

See also...

  - Get a good introductory Unix book

  - Man page for the shell which will execute your .xinit

  - Search "Google Groups" at http://groups.google.com/ ...

      + comp.unix.* newsgroups for "foreground background process
        OR command shell" search term

      + comp.unix.* & comp.windows.x newsgroups for "shell xinitrc OR
        xsession background"

  - Parv