Boot Loader

Andrew Smith bsd-questions at andsmith.com
Tue Nov 2 18:17:09 PST 2004

Ok I'm stuck...

I'm trying to get Windows XP and FreeBSD 4.10 to dual boot.

I'm installing onto a 40GB HD:
    30GB - WinXP
    10GB - BSD

So I installed XP, and then FreeBSD, with the Boot Manager.

Rebooted and I get the FreeBSD boot manager.  When I hit F2, FreeBSD loads without problems.  However when I hit F1, the computer just beeps at me.

So I installed GRUB from the ports 0.94.  I was able to manually boot BSD with GRUB, but I could not figure out how to get XP to boot, it didn't recognize the partition which XP was installed when I would do a "root (hd0,0)".

I've search for a few hours now, trying to figure this out.  But I'm stumped.

Would this be easier with two Hard Drives?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew