ipfw/dhclient conundrum

Hexren me at hexren.net
Tue Nov 2 12:54:13 PST 2004

lacoe> I have a circular conundrum involving the sequence of boot events that
lacoe> I'm trying to solve, and I'd like to know if any other users have
lacoe> found a solution to this, or what some suggestions may be.

>I have is this: /etc/rc.d/ipfw needs to be run after
>/etc/rc.d/dhclient. This is due to the fact that I do not have a static
>IP lease, and my firewall script determines the external interface's ip
>address with ifconfig. However, if /etc/rc.d/dhclient runs before
>/etc/rc.d/ipfw, with the firewall at default-to-deny and no rules added
>to pass dhcp autoconfigure traffic, dhclient cannot acquire a lease. But
>to run the firewall script, dhclient needs to have acquired a lease so
>the rules make sense. But to run dhclient, ipfw needs to have run... et
>cetera ad nauseum.

Maybe I am not seeing something obvious then please say so, but coud
you tell me for what exacty you need an aquired lease before running
the ipfw script ?
You've thought about making your firewalls rules with something like: "add allow ip from
any to any [attention]via interface[endattention]"

Greetz Hexren