archivemail-0.6.1 not working as expected

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Mon May 31 15:24:15 PDT 2004

Hi,

I want to use archivemail-0.6.1 (Python 2.3.2) on FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE.
I have three questions/problems with the proper use:

1) I get the error message:
/usr/local/bin/archivemail:760: SyntaxWarning: assignment to None
  (None, last_dir) = os.path.split(os.path.dirname(message.fp.name))
I found the answer (Google) and a patch (it is a problem depending
on Python 2.3). Is there another solution to this problem?

2) Running
       archivemail -d90 -o $HOME/Mail/Archive $HOME/Mail/*
like it is explained in the man-pages I have the problem that archivemail
will stop archiving mail at that moment it finds a non valid mailbox format
file (e.g a mutt's alias or signature file): this file is not being ignored
by archivemail but instead archivemail will stop with an
nonzero exit indicating "an unexpected error".
I also use archivemail on my Debian box and
there these files do not matter or stop archivemail from archiving when it
finds a non mailbox formated file.

3) I want to run it in a cron job but to be honest I am not quiet sure where
to put my archive script.
In my /etc/periodic.conf I have two places where to put it:
a) local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"
b) monthly_local="/etc/monthly.local"			# Local scripts

Which one should I usei (do I have to create
/usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly) and if I put a cron script to a local place will it
be considered by anacron or do I have to change my settings of anacron?

Thanx for any help

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit