5.2.1 goes beserk on EPIA M board

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon May 31 09:37:53 PDT 2004

Robert Downes wrote:
[ ... ]
> ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=11 <DSC,ERROR> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED>
> LBA=4127103
>
> I did have, yesterday, FreeBSD 5.0 running on my EPIA M successfully
> until I tried to buildworld using 5.2.1 sources, at which point my EPIA
> hard crashed and reset itself. I assumed my PSU had failed briefly, but
> is it possible that 5.2.1 has special problems with the EPIA board or
> processor?

Sure, it's possible.  5.2.1 is very close to tracking -CURRENT, and there can
be some fallout after people make changes to APCI, the ATAng code, and
whatnot.  However, I have to say that the EPIA hardware tends to be fairly
sensitive to things like poor IDE cables, jumping everything according to
spec, etc.

--
-Chuck