Can I specify the resolver timeout?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon May 31 01:16:47 PDT 2004

On 2004-05-31 08:20, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 06:38:58AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Hmmm, I *am* running 5.X.  Looking at the manpage source I see that this
> > option's missing from the 4.X sources :(
>
> This came up on the list quite recently.  The source for the FreeBSD
> resolver.5 man page (/usr/src/share/man/man5/resolver.5) is maintained
> separately from the equivalent BIND source contributed from the ISC
> (/usr/src/contrib/bind/doc/man/resolver.5) The 'timeout:' and
> 'attempts:' entries in the FreeBSD man page are there in HEAD and have
> been for 5 months, but (despite the CVS comment on version 1.10 of the
> page) haven't been MFC'd to RELENG_4 or RELENG_5_2 yet.
>
> Whether this means that support is available in the underlying
> resolver libraries is another question.

I just looked at the sources of src/lib/libc/net/res_init.c and it seems
that support for "timeout:" only exists in CURRENT.  RELENG_4,
RELENG_5_0, RELENG_5_1 and RELENG_5_2 lack the part of res_init.c that
sets the timeout to the value configured in the `resolv.conf' file.

I'm not sure if there are any plans to merge this back to 4.X or the
release branches of 5.X though.

- Giorgos