NFS server fail-over - how do you do it?

adp dap99 at i-55.com
Sun May 30 18:26:05 PDT 2004

One of my big problems right now is that if our primary NFS server goes down
then everything using that NFS mount locks up. If I change to the mounted
filesystem on the client then it stalls:

# pwd
/root
# cd /nfs-mount-dir
[locks]

If I try to reboot the reboot fails as well since FreeBSD can't unmount the
filesystem!?

How do I stop this from happening?

I am using this to mount NFS filesystems:

# mount -o bg,intr,soft ...