ifconfig in rc.conf network problems

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun May 30 15:01:17 PDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Marco Beishuizen wrote:

> I used to have two ifconfig lines in my rc.conf:
> ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
> ifconfig_dc0="media autoselect"
>
> The first to enable DHCP and the second to set my networkcard to 100BaseTX
> full duplex.

Can rc.conf work that way?  rc.conf is just a shell script, and you're
assigning values to variables, so the second declaration would overwrite
the first.  As to why that would have worked for you...  After dhclient
runs successfully once, some of the information is kept on disk
(resolv.conf, default route).  Maybe it was enough?

> Now after an upgrade to 4.10-release this doesn't work anymore. When I put
> both lines in rc.conf only the second line is effective and overrides the
> first, but I want to use both DHCP and 100BaseTX. I need to use the "media
> autoselect" because the networkcard defaults to 10BaseT but I want to use
> 100Mbit. When I don't use DHCP the network is unreachable. Pinging then gives
> a "no route to host".

There's an example of specifying media type in the dhclient.conf man
page.