Problem after installing 'lprng'

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun May 30 06:42:19 PDT 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Obligatory OS system info:
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD rcn.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55
> GMT 2004     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> I was having problems printing from KDE, so I used the ports to download and
> install 'lprng' as well as the 'lprngtool'. The printing problem was solved.
> However, a new problem has arisen.
>
> Upon boot up I receive the following error message:
>
> Local package initialization:
> Starting Dr. Web daemon...
>  dnetc
>  printer
> Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'
> .

You have probably managed to configure your machine to try and run
both the lpd(8) from the base system and the lpd from the lprNG port.
Which means the lprNG version can't start up because the base system
version has already bound the the lpd port.  Make sure that your
/etc/rc.conf has only the lprng entries.

> I have no idea why this is happening. In addition, when I attempt to run the
> 'lprngtool' script from within KDE, I receive the following error message:
>
> Error executing command 'lpq -a -s'
> lpq: illegal option -- s
> usage: lpq [-a] [-l] [-Pprinter] [user ...] [job ...]
>
> I am not sure if that has anything to do with this or not.
>
> I would certainly appreciate any assistance that someone can afford me.

lpq(8) from the base system is being run, and that doesn't understand
the '-s' option used by lpq(8) from lprNG.  Either you need to specify
the full path to the correct version of lpq (which will be
/usr/local/bin/lpq if you've installed lprNG from packages), or you
have to futz with the $PATH and put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin.
Note that fiddling with the order of directories on the $PATH can
cause all sorts of weird effects in completely unrelated software so
test early and test often if you do that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way