PWS 600au / Matrox G450 / XFree86-4.3.0 (fwd)

Marco Beishuizen marco at beishuizen.info
Sun May 30 03:09:45 PDT 2004

On stardate Sun, 30 May 2004, the wise Thomas Schwarzkopf entered:

> On Saturday 29 May 2004 17:56, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
>> (WW) MGA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0)
>> found (EE) No devices detected.
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> no screens found
>>
>> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>> xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "tsunami.bsd:0" in "remove" command
>
> I had the same problem with a PC 164 but with a different videocard.
> Adding a line like
>
> BusID      "PCI:0:9:0"
>
> to Section "Device" of my XF86Config file helped. pciconf -l can help
> you to find the BusID. /var/log/XFree86.0.log should also report the
> BusID of yor card.

I added the line BusID "PCI:1:0:0" and Xfree tries to start. But now my
monitor turns to black and I get a big warning that the "signal frequency
is out of range". Really weird because I always used the (correct) values
for horizontal and vertical frequencies for the monitor. The only thing I
can do at that point is to reset the computer.

Marco

--
Gray's Law of Programming:
 	`_n+1' trivial tasks are expected to be accomplished in the same

Logg's Rebuttal to Gray's Law:
 	`_n+1' trivial tasks take twice as long as `_n' trivial tasks.