config is out of sinc

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri May 28 18:04:56 PDT 2004

On Friday 28 May 2004 02:55 pm, Earl Larsen wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 01:01 am, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 May 2004 10:19 pm, Earl Larsen wrote:
> > > What would change for 4.9 current? I am a little confused on the
> > > difference of RELENG_4_9 and RELENG_4_9_0_RELEASE. Is the first
> > > one for stable systems, and the later one for current systems?
> >
> > You need to read about the branch tags on
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.
> >html
> >
> > RELENG_4 is stable, which is now going by the name 4.10-STABLE.
> > There is now a RELENG_4_10_0_RELEASE, which never changes, and
> > RELENG_4_10, which is only updated with critical fixes and security
> > advisories.
>
> Thank you all for the clarafacation.
>
> Two last question. I just want to duble check myself.
>
> 1) If I want to update 4.9 to 4.10 I would put RELENG_4_10_0_RELEASE
> in my supfile. And it will update everything to the current version
> of 4.10.

It is a matter of semantics. To me, the current version of 4.10 will be
RELENG_4_10. The release version never changes and is out of date the
first time they post a fix to RELENG_4_10. So, it can never be the
current version.

> 2) The cvsroot-all is for a cvsup-mirror.

Ok, but you still don't want to do things the way you were setting it
up. Don't waste your network bandwidth and the remote computer
resources when you have the same data on a local machine. My mirror is
on a computer I call crystal and my stable-supfile on crystal looks
like

# cat stable-supfile
# listed at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/mirrors.html.
#*default host=cvsup8.FreeBSD.org
*default host=crystal
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
src-all

I would make one other point. When you install cvsup-mirror, it wants to
run the update on the hour. I find that 20-25 minutes after the hour is
much more successful. The mirrored code only changes once an hour and
you don't miss anything. I have found that the mirrors are usually
loaded on the hour and I got a lot of denied messages until I setup my
cvsup mirror update cronjob to run 20-25 minutes later. I still get
occasional denies when a new release is tagged but not nearly as many
as I had in the past.

I don't update my mirror every hour and if I want to force an update in
between cronjobs, I run upcvs, which looks like

# cat upcvs
#! /bin/sh
sh /usr/local/etc/cvsup/update.sh

Once you get a mirror cvsup, if you have a web server, install
cvsweb-2.0.6_1. You can look at the source just like cvsweb.cgi does on
freebsd.org.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart