L2TP port bind failure

Raja Sivaramakrishnan srajag00 at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 16:45:29 PDT 2004

Hello,
    I have an L2TP server running on 4.2 FreeBSD that needs to bind to UDP
port 1701.This works usually, but in rare cases, I see another application, say
SNMP, has already taken this port, so the L2TP bind fails. The SNMP client
doesn't care what UDP port it gets (it doesn't specify a value in the bind
call). Is there a way to prevent it from getting the L2TP server's port? Other
than starting the L2TP server before SNMP (and all other clients), is there a
way to solve this?

Thanks,

Raja