fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3221471004 bytes for inoinfo

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Fri May 28 14:34:32 PDT 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 22:30, Christian Hiris wrote:
> When I rebooted the machine I got a "giving up on xx buffers" message and
> all filesystems marked dirty. After rebooting the system background fsck
> run and left one filesystem dirty - "unexpected softupdate inconsistency".
> Then the system died within 20 seconds. After that I rebooted into single
> user mode started fsck manually:

[...]
> The filesystem held about 1.3 million files, softupdates enabled.
> Is there any other way recover this filesystem on the fly?
>
> Thanks!
> ch

I 'solved' the problem by switching some of my harddisks to a new controller
to eliminate the syncer problem and restored data from backups. The primary
cause was a timeout of a harddisk attached to the HPT372 onboard controller
on a Epox EP-8KRA2+ mainboard.

--
Christian Hiris <4711 at chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x941B6B0B
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu