mail daemon(s) recomendation request

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Fri May 28 01:37:06 PDT 2004

Mike Maltese wrote:
>>I'm looking for an smtp daemon that is less complex than
>>sendmail, can use procmail and has some virtusertable
>>equivalent features.  Allowing relay based on mx is going to
>>be a requirement for some of the boxes as well.
>>Sendmail is working ok for me, but I'm intersted in finding
>>something with a config file I can actually read.
>>
>>I'm going to check into postfix and maybe qmail.
>>
>>I'm also looking for some imap and pop3 daemons (ideally
>>with ssl support) that can use maildir.
>>
>>I'll probably continue to use dovecot for imap and pop3.
>>
>>Anyone have any other suggestions?
>

> Qmail is said to be a very robust and secure MTA. Exim is also a popular
> Sendmail replacement. Personally, I swear by Postfix. Stable, secure and
> easy to configure, with lots of back-end options. For pop3/imap, I like
> Courier-IMAP.

I'll second the Postfix recommendation. It can do maildir style
mailboxes if you want, does procmail, and has good virtual user support.
Not sure what you mean by "relay based on mx", but Postfix's
configuration allows for all sorts of weird setups if needed.

David

Commercial OS breeds commerce, whereas free OS breeds freedom,
the only thing more dangerous and confusing than commerce.
                   -- Michael R. Jinks, redhat-list, circa 1997