RAID5 Failure And Booting

Rishi Chopra rchopra at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu May 27 22:05:36 PDT 2004

My RAID-5 array seems to have died this weekend.  After coming back from
a motorcycle-riding class, I noticed my internet connection was down.  I
hooked up a monitor and a keyboard to my FreeBSD box, and noticed that
the OS was no longer running, that the computer had rebooted, and that
the BIOS message was "Insert Bootable Media Into Appropriate Drive".

I'm unfamiliar with this particular message; can anyone explain what
might have happened?  My understanding is that, since the computer is
running a RAID5 array (Adaptec 2400A card + (4) WD2000JB drives) even if
one drive fails, the computer will continue running.  I replaced one of
the drives, which seemed to be clicking on and off, but the computer
still is not booting to the OS.

I have a pair of FreeBSD diskettes at my disposal: is there a way to
boot from this diskettes, assuming the array is still intact?

--
                                                .    _  .
                                                |\_|/__/|
  | Rishi Chopra                         |    /__| oo |__ \
  | http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra |   |/_ \_/\_/ _\ |
                                              |          ||\
                                                \______//
                                               __|| __||