LDAP

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Thu May 27 12:51:01 PDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> On May 27, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Vince Hoffman wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 27 May 2004, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any references that will step through creating an LDAP
> >> database?  I have been banging my head into a wall trying to get one
> >> set up...I have it at a point where the slapd will start and monitor
> >> for connections, but using ldapbrower logging in as the rootdn will
> >> yield errors whenever I try to add an entry.  I'm ready to try wiping
> >> the database (since it's empty anyway) and try over from scratch.
> >
> > I was getting ready to give up with LDAP (for samba and pam_ldap)
> > untill i tried phpldapadmin, worked like a dream, not sure its in ports
> > yet though. ( oh and i'll recomend ldap account manager which is in
> > ports
> > but only useful if you want to store posix and samba accounts under
> > ldap.)
>
> I've sent a message to the list responding to someone else outlining
> some of the goals I hope to achieve with the LDAP server, but what
> information is your server handing out?  Just username/password for
> Win9x, or can it handle Win2k information, or...?

I'm using it to store posix and samba users, handles XP and 2k
authentication fine (dont have any 9x on the network,) All i'm doing is
runing a samba PDC for a small network, and am using ldap as it means its
easy to have a BDC if needed and using pam_ldap and nss_ldap i can
centralise my user database, anything that supports pam authentication is
authenticated again it (ie. the external ftp site, uw-imap, smtp auth
(sasl2 using pam) and shell logins where needed, as well as the internal
windows domain, (xp and 2k workstations, samba servers))
If your interested who uses samba and how many users  then look here
http://samba-survey.sernet.de/commit.html?action=sort&order=file_sharing_clients&dir=desc&index=0