SMTP AUTH

Richard Stevenson richard at endace.com
Wed May 26 15:05:07 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Lee Dilkie wrote:

>> You've got "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
>> enabled for
>> the SMTP server in Outlook?
>
> In my experience (outlook 2000, not tested on outlook express) this
> won't work. Outlook doesn't seem to understand that "use SSL" means "use
> STARTLS". What I did was to configure sendmail to also support "smtps"
> (SSL before SMTP) on the smtps port (465) and point outlook at that port
> with the "use ssl" checked.

Outlook 2002 (from Office XP) will try STARTTLS if SMTP-over-SSL doesn't
work for any port other than 25, apparently, but as I said, it's still a
bit hairy.  I've got clients in .us, .uk, and .nz doing this with my
server in .nz.  FWIW, I believe Microsoft are still working on this - I'm
told they might default to trying STARTTLS first for port 587.  These
things take time; the MSA standard is only about five years old, after
all...

Cheers

Richard

--