Odd one: my root account disappears into hyperspace.

Andy Holyer andyh at hhbb.co.uk
Wed May 26 07:08:27 PDT 2004

Here's a really odd one.

I ssh into my server as myself, and then su to root. At which point
something odd happens:

a) the output of some shell commands seems to be redirected somewhere
other then my xterm;
b) when I try to run emacs or vi, I get: "emacs: standard input is not
a tty"

This doesn't happen when I log in as another user and try it. I've
tried comparing the contents of our two home directories, and there
appears no difference.

Anyone seen this before?
---
Andy Holyer, Technical stuff
Hedgehog Broadband, 11 Marlborough Place Brighton BN1 1UB
08451 260895 x 241