Repeated connections to port 25 with firewall

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Wed May 26 06:03:45 PDT 2004

: When local processes want to mail, they fork n exec a sendmail binary
: themselves.
:
: You shouldn't need a sendmail server running for that.

Here is what I have/had in rc.conf

#sendmail_enable="no"
#sendmail_submit_enable="no"
#sendmail_outbound_enable="no"
#sendmail_msp_queue_enable="no"

And as soon as I restarted after commenting out these lines, root's mailbox
got filled with megs of mail from cron.  I want the minimum I need to get
system mail without leaving an instance of sendmail vulnerable to attack or
eating up resources.

p.s.  What mail reader is good for root mail?  Is there anything better at
managing system mail than mutt?

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.