mplayer + realaudio ... what to expect when installing ...

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed May 26 02:08:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:09:14AM -0700, Joe Schmoe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a simple goal - to convert realaudio files I
> have saved to my drive into mp3s, on the fbsd command
> line.
>
> The answer, I have been told, is to install mplayer
> with realaudio support, and then just:
>
> mplayer file.ra -ao pcm
>
> That sounds reasonable.  But I have two issues.
>
> First, I see no mplayer+realaudio in the ports tree -
> just mplayer.  How do I get realaudio support into
> mplayer ?

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
make WITH_REALPLAYER=yes install

It is very useful to read the Makefile for a port to find out various
options for it.

> Second, just what kind of install is mplayer (and
> mplayer + realaudio, for that matter) ??  I want to
> keep this system nice and clean - and I will be upset
> if mplayer installs a million dependencies, or does
> something lame like install X for me, when I don't
> want it.  So can someone describe just what an mplayer
> install is like ... and how to keep it from installing
> X, etc., if that is what it does ?

mplayer does have about a gazillion dependencies (most of them
optional) including X (not optional), so if you don't want X installed
then mplayer isn't for you.
(It is a multimedia player after all, and to play video you need
graphics support.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson