Strange pkg_info output

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue May 25 14:53:03 PDT 2004

Christopher Nehren wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 14:01:11 EDT, Chuck Swiger scribbled these
> curious markings:

"Elbereth"...? :-)

>>>pkg_info: package bsdpan-DBD-mysql-2.9003 has no origin recorded
>>>pkg_info: package bsdpan-DBI-1.42 has no origin recorded
>>>pkg_info: package bsdpan-GD-1.19 has no origin recorded
>>
>>>Should I be worried about this? Or, how do I fix this?
>
> The messages are telling you that when you installed the package, BSDPAN
> did register it into the package database, but it (obviously) has no
> information about where from the ports tree you installed it; e.g., if
> you installed DBI from the ports tree, its origin would be
> databases/p5-DBI.

The CPAN module is Perl's mechanism for updating itself, and thus is kept more
up-to-date than the FreeBSD ports collection.

The merits of customizing Perl more specificly for FreeBSD should be
counterbalanced by the concern of modifying the behavior of a standard tool
(similar to the concerns over archivers/gtar).

> Why you're installing packages that are in the ports tree without using the
> ports tree is beyond me. If you want it to be updated, send-pr with a
> patch.

Unfortunately, the maintainer of perl is currently AWOL.  See:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=65925    # from me...

-Chuck