CDrom problems

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Tue May 25 10:38:36 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 09:25:34AM -0500, Donald Szatkowski wrote:
> It appears that there are quite a few problems with basic setup and cdrom.

What does this mean? Please elaborate: do you mean that setup
beginning with sysinstall is problematic, in that you cannot use your
cdrom drive during sysinstall?

> Could someone please post a copy of associated files to give an example of
> setup? The kernel.GENERIC is okay for root access to the cdrom, but there are
> problems allowing general users access.

This appears to be the well-known FAQ about providing access to the CD
drive for non-root users.

Perhaps this will help:

Go to /usr/share/doc/ on your machine, and look for the FAQ
directory. In that document, you will find that chapter nine, question
9.22, is titled "How do I let ordinary users mount floppies, CDROMs
and other removable media?" Since the document in question is an html
document, you will be able to use a browser.

> Also, could someone address the question of ATAPI compliance of
> devices?

I'm not sure what this means; what question of compliance?