Solved: FreeBSD as print server w/CUPS + samba + apsfilter

Rob stopspam at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 24 19:59:28 PDT 2004

Mike wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> This post is a result of 2 days of thrashing trying to get FreeBSD (4.9)
> to act as a print server to Win2K/XP clients.  I have included links to
> a how-to that I wrote that includes a full install and configuration of
> CUPS and Samba so that local (connected to server) printers print
> locally, and so that that local printer(s) can then be shared (served)
> as network printer amongst Windows 2k/XP clients.

Why using for Samba for this?

Win2K/XP can print over the ipp port, which is the native way of
operation for CUPS.

I have an HP LaserJet 4V attached to my FreeBSD 4-Stable PC.
This printer is configured with the ipp protocol (I did
configuration with the CUPS web interface; very easy to use!).

The only file that I had to manually modify was

   /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

There I have a section:

   <Location />
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny From All
   Allow From 127.0.0.1
   Allow From a.b.c.d/n
   </Location>

Where a.b.c.d/n is the usual ip/mask that allows people on that
network to use the printer.

Don't forget to open your firewall for the ipp print connection,
something like

   ipfw add allow log tcp from a.b.c.d/n to me ipp via rl0

Rob.