libxml2.so.5: Undefined symbol "pthread_equal" w/ xfce4

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Mon May 24 08:20:12 PDT 2004

Hello list,

This one annoys me for quite a long time now. I am using xfce4 (but
that's not the point) and there is this problem with libxml2. It
manifests itself thus:

** (xfce-mcs-manager:89174): WARNING **: Module
/usr/X11R6/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins /libxfce4settings.so cannot be
opened (/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.5: Undefined symbol "pthread_equal")

(meaning that the properties panel for the xfce4-panel cannot be used
and it's not possible to configure it anymore).

Now I've searched the archives and found this:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2503272+0+archive/2004/freebsd-questions/20040314.freebsd-questions
and the only reply:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2513997+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2004/freebsd-questions/20040314.freebsd-questions

I've recompiled libxml2 a thousend times, with every possible
combination of WITH_THREADS=false, WITHOUT_THREADS=true, THREADS=off,
THREADS=no, etc, etc. /var/db/ports/libxml2/options has
WITHOUT_THREADS=true, meaning that the THREADS option for libxml2 is
OFF. I've recompiled each and ever port that depends on libxml2
(which is A LOT of ports) with the same make flags to no avail.

What am I supposed to do? The problems seems to be only with xfce4.
One single time I think I hit the correct combination of make flags,
resulting in xfce4 working correctly again with libxml2. Then, some
days ago, I updated libxml2 and there it is again. Every other
application (e.g. the Gimp) seems to works fine (I think).

Why is this, what would I have to do and where should I read up on the
problem? Gotta have it fixed! Argh! :-)

I'd really appreciate any input concerning this! Hopefully I've provided
enought information on the subject.

Thanks in advance!
--
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos | "A cynic is a man who knows the price of
daff AT dword DOT org  | everything, and the value of nothing."