disk recovery

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon May 24 05:48:02 PDT 2004

John Oxley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a personal server with 400Gb of hard disks in various shapes and
> sizes.  I don't have enough money for redundant disks, and I would like
> to know what the most efficient way of making sure my data doesn't get
> lost, in case of a hard drive failure.  The best would be for some sort
> of recovery if a disk goes south for the winter.
>
> On this note, what's the best way of recovering data when a disk does go
> bad.

You need to make backups to some other media, whether it be CD, or tape or
a second set of disk drives.

Doesn't sound easy.  If you assume an average of 2:1 compression, you're
still going to need 200G to back everything up.  That'll take 50 DVDs ...

If all of this data is important to you, then you need to come up with
some cash.  You might want to consider which of the data is _really_
important, and what you can survive losing and only back up the truely
critical stuff.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies