FTPD & SSHD server

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sun May 23 19:47:24 PDT 2004

I think you are confused about difference between ssh and FTPD. FTPD
is enabled in inetd.conf. This FTP software gives FTP protocol
access the home directory of the person logging in. No account on
the FBSD box no FTP access. When logging in using FTP the id/pw is
passed over the internet as clear text that can be harvested with a
lot of effort and cost. This is normally restricted to private Lan
use only, IE; not used over the public internet. FTP uses port 21
for control channel and 20 for data channel in active mode and some
high port number for data channel in passive mode. Second security
problem in using FTP for public internet access is you have to leave
all the high port number open for inbound traffic in your firewall
and this is an very big security hole.

For these reasons the common practice is not to use FTP for public
internet access to your system. An public accessible anonymous FTP
server has special directory setting to protect against users
accessing other directories.

Ssh on the other hand is completely different. It has it's own FTP
protocol which uses the ssh port 22 for control and data. To use ssh
for remote public internet access to your FBSD box you need ssh
enabled in rc.conf and inbound rule for port 22 in your firewall.
Ssh has it's own built in command for FTP transfer. Ssh logs into
id/pw of account on FBSD box. To ssh and ssh/ftp from windows box to
FBSD box you need to use ssh client program on windows. Search the
questions archives for posts about windows ssh clients for where to
download free ones from.