IPF/IPNat router/gateway

Andras Kende andras at kende.com
Sun May 23 18:29:00 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Michael Zimmer
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 7:08 PM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: IPF/IPNat router/gateway

   Hello.  I apologize for asking a question which has been asked several
   dozen times before, but none of the prior-offered solutions seem to
   work.

   I'm trying to use a freeBSD box (v 5.1) as a gateway/router for my
   network.  I've got a static IP range for the network, but can't get
   things running.  (...the local machines are all running Windows XP
   Pro)

   The local machines can connect to my ISP when they're plugged in to
   the uplink, whether individually or through a hub, and the freeBSD box
   can as well.  ...however, a machine plugged into the BSD box is unable
   to ping the BSD box and vice versa.

   IPF is set to pass in/out quick all from any to any

   IPNat has the following rules set:

   map rl0 192.168.1.0/24 -> x.x.x.254/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:40000
   map rl0 192.168.1.0/24 -> x.x.x.254/32

   IP of the BSD box is x.x.x.254, mask 255.255.255.224 on the external
   NIC
   IP of the BSD box is 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.224 on the internal
   NIC

   the lone machine connected to it at the moment is set on
   IP 192.168.1.2,
   mask 255.255.255.224,
   gateway 192.168.1.1

   ...and rc.conf has gateway_enable, ipfilter_enable and ipnat_enable
   all set to "YES"

   thanks.

Hello,

I used this great howto to get my ipfilter gateway going:
http://bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/networking/ipfilter.php

"however, a machine plugged into the BSD box
is unable to ping the BSD box and vice versa."

When you connect a XP to the Freebsd you still using Hub right?
Or crossover cable?

Andras Kende
http://www.kende.com