can't startx from user after upgrade

hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com
Sun May 23 17:44:57 PDT 2004

From: arden <arden at nildram.co.uk>

> this may sound strange but is your disc full?
> Ive had similar probs on Linux boxes when the disc is all but full
>
> arden

Aloha Arden
Funny you should ask.... Here is the output of df

bsd-desktop# df
Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on/dev/da1s2a    253678   75244  158140    32%    /
devfs               1       1       0   100%    /dev/dev/da1s2e    253678     208  233176     0%    /tmp/dev/da1s2d    253678   55926  177458    24%    /var/dev/da1s4f   4347996 2273842 1726316    57%    /usrbsd-desktop#

If you notice, /usr is on a different slice. The
upgrade had failed earlier because of lack of space
where /usr was. I then set up a larger slice and
moved /usr there. The upgrade then completed....
so to speak.

So, isn't it curious that /home actually resides in
/usr/home and it is the regular login accts that can't
get to gnome.

After receiving your email, I ran fsck on /usr and
all was well.

Anything else I can try?

Robert

P.S. I did read the FAQ and I read it again. I checked
the localhost stuff and the FAM stuff. All is well
but it still takes root about 50 seconds to load
gnome.