BootEasy Problem

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Fri May 21 17:46:46 PDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:44:51 +0100, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:

> I have played something with 'boot0cfg' like '# boot0cfg -s 2 -B /dev/ad0'.
> When I reboot my system it failed to be booted.
>
> I have the following diskmap.
> '/ for ad0s2a'
>
> How do I recover the BootEasy?

I don't see anything in the above boot0cfg command that is likely to
make your system unbootable.  If you want to restore the default
bootstrap configureation, do "boot0cfg -B ad0".  If your hard disk
is no longer bootable, you can do it this way:

    1) Boot your FreeBSD installation medium.
    2) Go into "fixit" mode.
    3) Reissue the boot0cfg command.

You will need a "fixit" diskette or a "live filesystem" cd-rom.
See the file floppies/README.TXT in your FreeBSD installation medium.

Dan Strick

P.S. The usual master bootstrap program is no longer BootEasy.
It is called "boot0".  The source is in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0.