Multiple CPUs

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Fri May 21 16:15:47 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicholas Bernstein" <nick at docmagic.com>
To: "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 5:55 PM
Subject: Multiple CPUs

> How can one detect if a system is using multiple CPUs?
> I'm running freebsd 4.9 and I was hoping that either uname or top would
> give some information as to whether or not the second cpu is being used.
> dmegs outputs the following:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz (2399.33-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
> but I want to make sure that this is not just showing it's been
> detected, as opposed to being used.
>
> --
> Nicholas Bernstein, Unix Systems Administrator
> Document Systems Inc.
> http://docmagic.com
> nick at docmagic.com

The first line of output from top shows the following information. The C
column indicates that it's a multi-proc system and which CPU a given process
is currently running on.

PID USERNAME      PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU
COMMAND

You can also "type /var/run/dmesg.boot" and it will show you the CPU
information as well.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.