Network printing question: apsfilter + samba over Win2k network

Mike addymin at pacbell.net
Fri May 21 14:53:19 PDT 2004

Greetings:

My server is: FreeBSD 4.9 stable and is acting as a file and (hopefully)
print server for 6 local Windows 2000 workstations.

Samba 2.28 is installed and serving file shares properly.  Now for
printer sharing...

The printer is an HP 4M laserjet, and I installed apsfilter (via ports)

Apsfilter SETUP came up and took me through the process of installing
the printer.

First I installed the HP [lp] first using "auto" as the default printing
method.  The HP's test page printed fine

Next I installed the HP [aps1]using "raw" as print method. I wanted to
use the HP as a print server so I just want the server to "pass" the
print job to the Win2K client (is this right?).  I want Win2k to handle
the print job.

Note: I have a Redhat-9 print server that works and it uses a CUPS +
SAMBA combination.

I'm using Apsfilter for FreeBSD, so I shouldn't need CUPS right?

Anyway, for aps1 (raw printer), I set-up a samba printer share, here is
that portion of the smb.conf:

[hp4m]
         printable = yes
         comment = hp4m
         printer = aps1
         lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
         print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s
         lpq command = lpq -P%p
         path = /var/spool/lpd/aps1
         public = yes
         writeable = yes
         use client driver = yes

PROBLEM: I'm able to "see" the printer from the Win2k client accoss the
network, Windows 2k prompts for a driver and I load the driver. Windows
reports that the printer is "ready", however when I try to print a test
page, nothing happens.

This is my first foray into network printing with FreeBSD, and I'm still
learning may way around this OS.  So any pointers or hints would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Chinn

For reference, here is the /etc/printcap file:

# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
lp|PS;r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
     :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
     :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
     :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
     :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
     :mx#0:\
     :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this
# APS2_BEGIN:printer2
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer2
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
aps1|PS;r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=raw:\
     :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
     :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/aps1:\
     :lf=/var/spool/lpd/aps1/log:\
     :af=/var/spool/lpd/aps1/acct:\
     :mx#0:\