Chipset compatibility issues and FreeBSD

Justin Finkelstein justin at redwiredesign.com
Fri May 21 06:14:17 PDT 2004

Hi there

I'm about to make a decision on which motherboard to buy to run FreeBSD
4.9 in a production environment, and I'm getting a little confused over
compatibility issues with the available chipsets and this version of
FreeBSD.

The chipsets in question are: Intel 865G, 865PG, 865PE.

I did some searching on the mailing lists earlier and found a couple of
posts detailing problems between the 865G chipset and FreeBSD 5.1.

I am working on the assumption that the motherboard manufacturer isn't
too important, but I am expecting to buy from Gigabyte as they've worked
fine in the past.

Can anyone shed any light on whether these chipsets will work with
FreeBSD 4.9?

Thanks,

Justin

Redwire Design Limited