Broken Disk

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri May 21 05:56:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 07:36:11AM -0500, Jason Dusek wrote:

> I am trying to put a new disk on my system. I read the description of
> the process in FreeBSD Unleashed and apparently I misunderstood it,
> because I ended up installing a boot manager on the new disk. Now I can
> not mount it - I get error messages like:

Presence of absence of a boot manager on the drive should make any
difference at all once the system is up and running.

> # mount /dev/ad1e /mnt/backup
> operation not permitted

/dev/ad1e is a very odd device name to be using.  As far as I remember
that's a backwards compatability thing from changes that were made
somewhere around the FreeBSD-3.x timeframe.  You probably want
/dev/ad1s1e

> How do I 'start over'? I have tried to add this disk many times with
> /stand/sysinstall. Eventually I gave up and went to the command line
> utilities as outlined in the handbook. The error I got was interesting,
> but I have no idea what it means:
>
> # fdisk -BI ad1
> ******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
> fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found

You're going about this the right way, but you've run into a disk with
a label so scrambled it's confusing fdisk(8).  Old hacky trick is to
zero out the first few blocks of the drive, so that fdisk(8) thinks
the disk is completely virgin:

    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1 bs=512 count=10

Note that this will completely trash anything already on the drive.

Then use fdisk(8), disklabel(8)/bsdlabel(8), newfs(8) to create
filesystems.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way