Proper way to shutdown a USB ethernet adapter?

Rob stopspam at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 21 01:11:36 PDT 2004

LukeD at pobox.com wrote:
> I'm running i386 5.2-CURRENT and using the axe driver to run a Netgear
> FA120 USB ethernet adapter.
> 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Tue May 18 16:11:06 PDT 2004
>
> The problem is that no matter what I try, every time I try to shut down
> the system, if this device is plugged in, the system will panic with a
> page fault when init terminates.

Sorry, I can't answer your question.
Just another question to you: is your USB chipset on the motherboard
a "VIA 83C572" ?

I have equivalent problems for a USB storage device with 4.10-Stable.
I can mount (and then I can access the USB filesystem), but the whole system
freezes when I umount the device. After googling a bit on this issue, I think
it is because of the USB chipset on the motherboard, which is a VIA 83C572.

I tried this USB storage toy on another FreeBSD PC with a Intel 82801BA/BAM
USB chipset, and there it works flawlessly.

So far, I haven't had much luck sharing the problem with the mailing list.
(I heard of one more person with the same problem, though).

Regards,
Rob.